Maybe this is one of those reasons, there is so much focus, presently, being paid, to filling the vacancy, presently happening on the United States Supreme Court. A Supreme Court Justice is appointed for life (or until he or she retires, voluntarily), and though, these folks, ideally, should be fair and unbiased arbiters of the law, etc, it is important to realize, each of them, is also human, and stems from particular life experiences, etc.. The make – up, of the Court, often, significantly impacts, how Americans live, etc.. Let us review 6 examples of how the Supreme Court of the United States, or SCOTUS, makes a significant difference, either actually, or potentially.
1. “Hanging chad” – 2000 Presidential election: When the Presidential election of 2000, between George W. Bush, and Al Gore, was extremely close, both by a favorite, as well as electoral vote, standpoint, the disputed vote, in Florida, became a substantial issue. One issue was re – counting the ballots, and reviewing, what became known, as the Hanging chad, since the way votes, were performed, they had to punch – out, a specific box, and some of them were hard to differentiate. The vote, by a 5 to 4 vote, decided in favor of President Bush, by flaws, and decreasing the recount period. It needs to be known, at the time, there was the same margin, involving so – called, Conservative and Progressive Justices.
2. Presidential powers/ limitations: With the retirement of a conservative judge (who sometimes was the so – called, swing – vote), the person, chosen, to replace him, will have a substantial effect, on determining many cases. One issue, certainly to be discussed, is the issue of Presidential powers and authority, and limitations, and since, President Trump, is currently, potentially involved in the Russian investigation, his appointing a specific individual, provides a possibility of certain conflicts of interest.
3. Free media: Freedom of the Press, is one of our Constitutional guarantees, yet the President, has often, implied (or inferred), his view, in they’re unjust, and fake information. However, independent political fact – checkers, have said, it is Mr. Trump, who has lied, or made mis – statements, an average of more than 6 times, each day. One could envision circumstances, where this becomes a matter, which the Court, must rule on.
4. Roe v Wade: Although, Roe v Wade has become the law, of this land, for several decades, we always hear disagreements, between, those supporting, a Women’s Right to Choose, instead of the so – called, Right to Life. It is probable this issue, will once again, appear before the Supreme Court, and thus, who the next appointee is, and his taste, will be significant, for generations.
5. Civil Rights (including Gay Rights, etc): The rhetoric and vitriol, articulated by Donald Trump, has attracted the level of racial tension, to a summit, we haven’t seen, in recent memory. The Court, will probably, need to rule on many items, we’ve taken for granted, like the right to equal service, protections, Squirrel Poop
6. Framing America’s future: Since this appointee, is appointed for life, and the present nominee is only 53, he is, on the Court, for decades. Therefore, how this shapes the make – up, of the group, will, likely, frame America;s potential!
Each America should pay keen attention to this situation, and carefully think about, why we have to be vigilant, to protect all our American freedoms and liberties, not simply, our personal favorites! Wake up, America, before it is too late!