Bees are a sweet affair because of what they produce in the end. But whether you’re into beekeeping as a hobby or for commercial reasons, you must ensure that your interactions with the bees are safe and easy. Aside from getting acquainted with the basics of beekeeping, you’ll also need to understand the best equipment to use in the field and how to really use the tools properly. You may start off with the most essential beekeeping supplies and then upgrade as per the demands of your beekeeping endeavor.
1. Protective gear – Beekeeping for beginners should start with prioritizing personal safety and this means getting yourself protective gear. This is what will keep you protected to stings and bee venom that may be dangerous. The suit should be composed of pants, jacket, and beekeeper’s veil. They can come separately or you could opt for a jumper styled suit that is easy to wear. Think about getting gloves as well to finish the gear and gumboots also. The suits are made from other materials and you should make sure that you consider the advantages and disadvantages of each before buying what is appropriate and what you can actually afford.
2. Hive tool – This is a strong flat metal tool that can be 7 inches long, 2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. It has a tapered sharp finish and a curved tapered end. It’s what you will need to use to scrap off propolis to keep a cleaner hive. You can also use the tool to open the honeycomb and squash intruders like hive beetles. Some models feature small holes that you could use to pull nails out when necessary. Choose a hive tool which you can trust to serve your needs and one that is simple to use.
3. Bee brush – it’s a soft bristled brush that you will use to remove bees from honey and frames supers. They’re soft to keep them gentle on the bees so that they do not wind up going on the rampage. You should make certain you use the brush appropriately so you do not end up damaging bee parts like legs and wings; remember you still need your tiny friends to maintain the business or hobby fruitful. Get the best brush and learn how to use it properly.
4. Your smoker ought to be made from high quality materials such as stainless steel and should have metal guards to protect your hands, a solid chimney and wood or leather bellows.
5. Extracting equipment – you can select manual or electric, commercial or small scale extractor. They pull honey from frames and make bottling easy to do. There are so may models so make certain to choose what you feel makes the tasks smoother.